- One whole chicken
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Whole onions
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. While the oven is heating, prepare the stuffing. Dice the onion, and put into a bowl with the breadcrumbs. Season with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Finally, mix with some butter to bind it all together.
2. Peel some potatoes, and boil some water. Boil the potatoes for 5 minutes only. (This will make them softer when they are roasted).
3. Wash the chicken, removing all rope binding, and any pins. Lay in an oven tray and spoon all the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken. Rub the chicken with butter, and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. If you have them, leave fresh sprigs of rosemary here and there as well.
4. Take the slightly boiled potatoes, and cover with olive oil. Place them in the oven tray around the chicken. If you don't have any room then just leave them in another oven dish. But when they are in the same dish as the chicken, all the juices soak into the potatoes, it's really tasty. Also include one or two peeled onions.
5. Put the chicken, potatoes and onion into the oven and cook for 90 minutes.
6. Relax for an hour with the paper and a glass of wine! But every now and then, check the chicken, and spoon the juices and oil all over the chicken and potatoes to make them crispy and moist. Do this as often as you feel like, the more times the merrier.
7. When there are about 30 minutes left, prepare the carrots and peas or whatever other vegetables you would like to have. Peel, chop, and boil for a few minutes. Set table etc.
8. Prepare gravy. I just used instant here, sorry! Am pretty crap at making it myself.....next time.
9. When the chicken is ready, take it out of the oven and let it stand for 10 mins before carving it.
10. Carve the chicken, distribute all the potatoes, onions and veg etc, and enjoy!