12 December 2009

Yes, I Am 28 and I Still Eat Ramen

(Ed. Note:  Please also welcome this guest post from Tony, filling in for Alana)

Other possible titles: "Ramen Is an Ingredient, Not a Right."  Or further, "Ramen in Sheep's Clothing."

When I and many of my good friends fell off the employment wagon, we had to resort to cooking at home to save money. Thanks to Madtasty, I nearly ended my unemployment prematurely with a number of cooking fiascos that left me with mild food poisoning and a badly burned copy of Where's Mom, Now That I Need Her? It wasn't long before I reverted back to my old college habits of 40 ozs and ramen noodles. Safe and sound. I'd like to share one of my more blog-friendly triumphs, covering for Lady A, best cook ever, on a week when she is rather busy.

So, how does a self-respecting yuppie dress up ramen to take home to mom and dad? Just follow along. And, if your parents are separated, you can tailor this recipe to their individual tastes at many steps along the way.

You will need, clockwise from our hero in the bottom left: Ramen, Si Racha, frozen broccoli, boiling (or at least very hot) water (represented here by the pot), a bowl to eat out of, frozen shrimp, fresh cilantro, furikaki (advanced) and chopsticks (not pictured - you may substitute a fork).


Step 1:
Boil some water, note appropriate signage in background


Step 2:
While the water is boiling, unfreeze the shrimps and broccoli (we use frozen shrimp and broccoli because this is Ramen, people! and also its already cooked you just hafta heat it up! this takes about 4 x 1 minute intervals in my wimpy microwave. Plan accordingly.



Step 3:
Is not a step, it is a picture I have included about furikake. What the hell is furikake and why should I have it in my kitchen?

Furikake is a Japanese condiment intended to top rice, but I suppose it is an ingredient and can be used for whatever. It is made of seaweed and sesame and soy (for saltiness) and usually has fish or shrimp in it. I get the kind without fish cause it reminds me of fish food. But you can make that call yourself. Find this at Super 88 or moral equivalent. Its delicious and is not necessary, but it adds a little authenticity to have sesame and seaweed floating in your soup.



Step 4:
When the shrimp and broccoli are defrosted and are on their way to hot, just drop the Ramen on top and add flavor packet, Si Racha, cilantro and furikake to taste. I use about 2/3 the flavor packet, a good dollop of Si Racha, 10-15 cilantro leaves and a teaspoon of furikake.  You can also add lettuce at this step, but I think real asians use bok choy.


Step 5:
Just add water.


Step 6:
Stir to presentability



Step 7:
Wolf down standing in the kitchen at or near the breakfast bar and get to your favorite local watering hole.



Godspeed and good luck.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful photos tony.

    also, realized how posh i was because i haven't had ramen in aaaages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA when I was in Tokyo this summer I saw entire restaurants dedicated to the art of the Ramen noodle. Can't so I'll ever go back to Ramen but.... you are not alone

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs