Howdy workout fanatics...You'll find that this recipe, like most that I post, isn't the most intricate, detailed, or HARD recipe. This fish dish is a very common Mexican plate, is economical, tasty and EASY (which I'm WAY into, given my schedule).
Pescado al Vapor really means Vaporized Fish aka Steamed fish. And let me tell you, just like marinating chicken and meats beforehand, cooking any dish al vapor really helps the seasonings soak in and actually cooks the protein that your making. It is also SUPER healthy and there is no need for oil/butter or anything but the protein to cook this. Let's take a look at the ingredients.
- piece of aluminium foil big enough for your fish
- 1/4 pound of white fish (call Cochito, here in Mexico), but any white/flouder type will do
- 1/2 red pepper
- about 7 mushrooms
- seasoned salt
- garlic powder
- Thaw your fish if it isn't already fresh. Season it on both sides.
- Cut your veggies, and spice them as well. Place them to the side temporarily.
- Get the aluminium foil and tear a piece that is about 2 times the size of the actual piece of fish.
- Place the fish in the middle of the aluminium.
- Add the veggies on top of the fish.
- Gently close the foil, bringing the two sides to fold together above the fish, not touching it. (You are basically wrapping it without it touching. So all sides need to be closed)
- Place the wrapped fish in a pan. Place the pan on the stove.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
As I mentioned, Pescado al Vapor is very common here in Mexico, as is most meats al vapor. Typically, in a nice restaurant, you'll order a dish al vapor and they'll unwrap the ugly foil in front of you at the table - for PROOF that it was actually cooked this way. When you steam your food, your fish and veggies soak up all the moisture, which is really what makes the food juicy. This is a great meal to simply bring to work and reheat, because it is already packaged in lovely foil wrapping. Or you can eat it right after it is prepared. When your schedule is tight and you're on the run, remember that you can al vapor just about any protein and it is sure to come out delicious. Let me know how yours turns out! Happy cooking and keep on being HEALTHY!!