27 December 2008
Easy Earthy Chicken and Spinach
Minimum Effort---Maximum Result---Satisfaction guaranteed
Truly this is not a fling. The love affair with my slow cooker continues with this earthy spinach and chicken dish.
Serves 6 with plenty left for lunch the next day.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2.5 hours - 7 Hours (in the slow cooker)
• 1 large red onion, sliced
• 2 cups carrots chopped (use the baby ones, they are already peeled)
• 1 bag frozen spinach
• 3.5 Tbs garam marsala (if you can’t find this spice mixture use yellow curry powder)
• 2 teaspoons nutmeg
• 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 2 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 Tbs chopped garlic
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 4 pounds boneless skin less chicken of your choice (legs, thighs, wings, breasts---I used breasts)
• Black pepper
• Onion Powder
• 1 (15-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
• 1/3 cup red wine (optional)
Dump onion, carrots and spinach into a slow cooker. Add garam marsala (or yellow curry powder), nutmeg, red pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Season chicken with salt, pepper and onion powder then place on top of vegetables.
Dump tomatoes on top of chicken and pour in wine.
Cover and cook
Dark Meat: low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
White Meat: low 4-5 hours or high for 2.5-3 hours
SERVE WITH SILKY COCONUT COUS COUS