A friend of mine showed me how to do this about three years ago and I came across the photographs the other day! It was a pretty disgusting task, took a long time, and we STANK afterwards (both clothes and skin - book time for a shower afterwards!), but it was a fun afternoon and the results were goooood.
- Whole Baby Squid
- Salt and Pepper (all for stuffing)
1) Chop the onion and garlic, beat the egg, and mix all together in a bowl with some salt and pepper.
Preparing the Squid:
2) First, cut off the squid's tentacles. Make sure that you separate the squid's tooth from the tentacles when doing this. You can feel the tooth in the very middle of the tentacles, either cut it off with them and remove, or cut the tentacles from above the tooth.
3) Chop up the tentacles and place in the bowl with the stuffing ingredients.
4) Take the squid, and place the knife behind its head. Push down to slice through it and then pull away from the body.
5) Use the knife to pull out the spine and gut the squid. With the spine out, all the squid's insides should come out easily, all together in one go.
6) Rinse out, and place the body to one side - repeat 2 - 5 until you have gutted all of them.
7) Stir the egg, onion, and tentacle mixture, then take the body, and holding it upright, use a teaspoon to pour the stuffing into the squid.
8) Using a toothpick, pierce through the skin and seal the opening.
9)Line the stuffed squid on a greased tray and pop in the oven for about 20 minutes.