(Yes, I'm into foods that start with B)
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 slices of turkey bacon, chopped (go without if you like, your loss, but it's still a good basic MnC)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you don’t like it spicy optional)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 large beaten egg
- 1.5 12 ounces bags of your favorite shredded cheese( I like a sharp cheddar and jack mix)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter add bacon. Whisk in the flour and cayenne pepper and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk. Simmer for ten minutes.
- Temper in the egg (temper just means let the liquid cool a little and then add the egg a little at a time, so it doesn't turn into scrambled eggs). Stir in 2/3 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Put half the pasta in a 2-quart casserole dish top with two handfuls of cheese and half the sauce. Repeat with the other half of the pasta). Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.
- If the top is not browned in 30 minutes (and you like a brown top) throw it under the broiler for two minutes.