07 May 2009

MEATBALL CHALLENGE! entry three

Meatballs were one of the things that I still missed for a long time after I went vegetarian. So this is my version of the fake ball of meat, and let me tell you, it preceded JaBootaay's by long shot. I taught him everything he knows about fake meat. For reals.

ingredients
  • 1 package of fake meat (i'm all about gimme lean)
  • 1 large onion chopped finely
  • a large handful of parsley chopped finely
  • a large handful of pepitas/pumpkin seeds
  • half a cup of bread crumbs
  • 3 eggs
  • season with basil, salt and crushed chili flakes!

So fake meat usually is kept in the fridge. It doesn't start out crumbly, so zap it in the microwave for a minute while you're chopping your onion. Add things to a mixing bowl as they're ready. If you get your portions wrong, err on the side of dryness since you can always add another egg but you probably only have so much fake meat. I encourage experimentation when seasoning these, but myself I often go for salt, basil and a considerable amount of crushed chili flakes!

When you have a mixing bowl full of unmeaty goodness, you have to get your hands dirty. I know egg on hands is the grossest thing ever, but be grateful this time its not egg and raw meat on hands. You want to press the fake meatballs into their titular shape, using more force than you would with regular meatballs because fake meat isn't as inherently wet. These portions should make just under 20 small meatballs.

I like to serve meatballs either as a main with salad and some other dish, but this time I was in a hurry so I just whipped up a zuchini & pepper pesto sauce to throw on some pasta. And voila.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs