I saw this recipe for Bacon Lollipops from The Kitchn on Apartment Therapy about a year ago. They looked pretty crazy, but also, pretty delicious. I hadn't really had a reason to make them, but decided to whip up a batch for a party. They were a hit and definitely something I would make again!
makes 16-20 pops
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese (not whipped)
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme or basil, divided
- Cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup pecans
- Apple slices, to serve
- Cut each piece of bacon in half.
- Place the bacon in a large skillet without overlapping the slices, and turn the heat on low.
- Cook on low for about 15 minutes, turning frequently, until the bacon is quite crispy.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and pat the slices to remove excess grease.
- While the bacon is cooking, place the goat cheese, cream cheese, 1 Tbsp herbs, and a few turns of cracked black pepper in the food processor.
- Whiz until creamy and well-mixed, then form small balls.
- Place cheese balls on a lined cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up a little more.
- Clean out the food processor and place bacon, remaining Tbsp of herbs, and the pecans in the food processor.
- Whiz until very fine and crumbly; it should be as fine as your food processor will make it.
- Take the cheese balls out of the freezer and roll them in the bacon mixture, pressing it in with your fingers if it doesn't immediately stick.
- Place the balls in a container and refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving stick lollipop sticks into balls.
- Serve with apple slices.